About Prince George County
Prince George County Public Schools, in partnership with parents and the community, will provide a meaningful and challenging educational program in a safe environment that prepares all students for post-secondary education and the workforce and to be responsible citizens in a global society.
To provide students with the knowledge and skills to exceed state, national and international standards.
Prince George County is located 25 miles southeast of Richmond, the state capital. Bordered on the north by the James River and the City of Hopewell and on the west by the Appomattox River and the City of Petersburg, the county played an important role in the Civil War. Appomattox Manor served as the headquarters for General Ulysses Grant. Major battles were fought at the site of today’s Petersburg National Park.
The county is just two hours from the nation’s capital and thirty minutes from Richmond’s fine museums, sports and restaurants. Within a two hour drive are the famed Blue Ridge Mountains and the beaches of the Atlantic Ocean. Colonial Williamsburg, plantation homes and Civil War battlefields are an hour away.
Ft. Lee, a military installation which serves as the site of the Quartermaster school and provides administrative and logistical support to the Army, is located in Prince George. Children living on post are served by the county school division.
Several colleges and universities are located within a 60 mile radius of the county. Richard Bland is a two-year affiliate of the College of William and Mary and offers associate degrees in business, arts and science. Two community colleges, John Tyler and J. Sargeant Reynolds, offer a range of one and two year programs. The University of Richmond, Virginia Commonwealth University, the College of William and Mary, Virginia Union University, Randolph-Macon College and Virginia State University offer a wide range of four year programs as well as advanced degrees.
Why Prince George Schools?
Competitive Salary and Benefits
- Starting salary competitive with surrounding school districts
- Basic Health insurance premium paid by school district
- Retirement and life insurance paid by school district
- Laptop issued for certified staff
- 2019-2020 Benefits Book
Teacher Support and Professional Development
- Detailed week-long New Teacher Orientation
- New teacher mentoring program
- Tuition reimbursement available
- Extensive professional development and technology classes offered
Recognized Leader in Technology
- 2,300 multimedia (Windows) computers.
- 26 servers (Windows).
- Division wide online teacher grade book.
- Parent Portal provides online parent teacher communication.
- Laptops for all instructional personnel.
- Excellent curriculum offerings, athletics, and activities programming
- Virginia Department of Education recognizes all schools accredited for 2008-2009
- One of only twenty-two districts in 2009 that all schools met AYP under NCLB requirements
- 35% of high school seniors advance to 4 year institutions of higher learning; 40% continue to 2 year institutions of higher learning
- The On-Time Graduation Rate for Prince George High School is 84.06%
- All schools accredited SACS CASI / AdvancED
District Teacher Of The Year Recipients
Support Employee of the Year
National Board Certified Teacher
Annual Outstanding Alumni Award