August 2, 2022
As of today, federal funding that helped our school division provide free meals for all students during previous school years has not been made available as of this date for the 2022-23 School Year. As such, per federal requirements, meal prices for the upcoming school year are as follows:
- School Breakfast (All Grades): $1.40.
- School Lunch, Elementary (Grades PK-5): $2.75.
- School Lunch, Secondary (Grades 6-12): $2.85.
- Adult Breakfast: Á la carte pricing.
- Adult Lunch: $4.10.
We will continue to monitor any federal legislation and follow up with our families in the event of any updates.
Free and Reduced-Price Meals Program
As the start of the 2022-23 School Year approaches, we encourage families to apply for the district's free and reduced-price meals program. Submit applications early to ensure the timely processing, and if approved, your child can begin receiving program benefits as early as the first day of school on September 6.
How to Apply
To apply, visit http://myschoolapps.com. Once there, enter your zip code, or select "Virginia" as your state and "Prince George County Public Schools - Food and Nutrition Service (VA)" as the school district. From there, you will be guided through the application progress until completion. You can also visit the district's Food and Nutrition Services website by clicking HERE.
Paper applications are available at the Prince George School Board Office at 6410 Courts Drive, Prince George, Virginia, during regular business hours. Paper forms will also be available at each school during orientation nights and at the Prince George Back-to-School Fair on Thursday, August 18, at Scott Memorial Park from 4-7 p.m.
For the 2022-23 School Year, all families that were approved for free or reduced-price meals in the 2019-20 School Year will be eligible for free or reduced-price meals for the first 30 school days of the upcoming school year. You will still need to complete an application to continue to receive free or reduced-price meals for the 2022-23 School Year.
While there is no deadline to apply, if you haven't applied and been approved for free or reduced-price meals before the first day of school, families should pack a lunch for their child or be prepared to pay the full lunch fee until you complete an application and are notified if your child will receive free meals.
If you need help filling out the application form, please reach out to your child's school or PGCPS' Food and Nutrition Services Department at 804-733-2700.
If your child is approved for free or reduced-price meals during the upcoming school year, your child will receive breakfast and lunch at no cost. The Commonwealth of Virginia is providing funding for the 2022-23 School Year that will waive the 30-cent breakfast and 40-cent lunch fee for those approved for reduced-price meals.
Note: Snacks are not included in the free and reduced-price meals program.
Additionally, if approved, students receive added benefits, including free PSAT, SAT, and ACT testing, and waived college application fees. For more information, feel free to contact Food & Nutrition Services.
Helpful Tips for Applying
Here are some things to keep in mind while applying for free or reduced meals for the upcoming school year:
- Complete one application per child.
- Please ensure all contact information provided in your application is correct, including telephone numbers, mailing, email addresses, and the last four digits of the social security number of the individual signing the form.
- Ensure the application is fully completed. Incomplete applications cannot be processed.
- Please count all dependents when completing the application.
- Please completely fill out salary information on the application.
- For our military families, Basic Allowance for Sustenance (BAS) MUST BE INCLUDED in your income information. DO NOT include Basic Allowance for Housing (BAH) in your income.
For more information, visit the Prince George Food & Nutrition Services Department website at http://www.schoolnutritionandfitness.com/index.php?sid=1464113827674.