Special Education Advisory Committee (SEAC)
Local special education advisory committees (SEACs) have a long history in Virginia. Every school division is required to have a SEAC as detailed in Regulations Governing Special Education Programs for Children with Disabilities in Virginia, effective January 25, 2010 (special education regulations).
The major purpose of SEACs is to provide an opportunity for parents and other school board appointees to have a voice in the way school divisions provide services to students with disabilities. SEACs are extensions of local school boards since members are appointed by them, and SEACs provide reports and recommendations to their school boards.
The Prince George County Public Schools’ Special Education Advisory Committee is organized and functions in accordance with state and federal requirements. The Committee's functions include the following:
- Provide advice concerning unmet needs in the education of students with disabilities in Prince George County.
- Assist in the formulation and development of long-range plans which will provide services needed for students with disabilities in Prince George County Public Schools and community.
- Participate in the development of priorities and strategies for meeting the identified needs of students with disabilities.
- Submit periodic reports and recommendations regarding the education of students with disabilities to the School Board through the Superintendent.
- Assist in interpreting to the community, plans for meeting the needs of students with disabilities for educational services, and
- Review annually the updated Annual Special Education Plan and Application for Federal Flow-Through Funds thirty (30) calendar days prior to submission by the Superintendent to the School Board.
Meeting Calendar for 2017-2018
September 21, 2017
October 19, 2017
November 16, 2017
January 18, 2018
(Meetings are subject to change)
Time: 5:00 PM
Location: School Board Office
NOTE: Visitors should park in the front of the School Board Office
All meetings are open to the public. Visitors and public comment are welcome at all meetings. Please see the information below on giving public comment.
Public Commenting Guidelines
The Special Education Advisory Committee (SEAC) welcomes public comment. A public comment period is provided at every meeting. Community members may appear at the SEAC meeting to submit comment or may provide the comments in writing to the Chair. Public comment is limited to three (3) minutes per speaker. Comments may also be emailed to email@example.com.
Persons who wish to address the committee should contact the chairperson in advance of the meeting date in order to be placed on the agenda or submit public comment in writing.
Chairperson: Mrs. Kimberly Lee, Email
Vice Chairperson: Mr. Mark Simpson, Email
Secretary: Mr. William Gandel, Email
Assistance & Contact Information
For information, training or assistance, contact:
Virginia Department of Education
Division of Special Education and Student Services,
Office of Dispute Resolution and Administrative Services
P.O. Box 2120, Richmond, VA 23218
Hank Millward, Coordinator of Complaints and Family Involvement
For updates, announcements or to share information please find us on Facebook at PG-Special Education Advisory Committee @PGSEAC