Emergency Closing Procedures
Before & After School Care
In case of emergency school closings, you will receive an automated telephone call, information will be posted on the school system's website, pgs.k12.va.us, Facebook page, and the following radio and television stations will carry our announcement:
Fort Lee Contacts
School Liaison Officer – Chaundra Taswell – 765-3813
Public Affairs – 734-7451
Guidelines To Be Followed For Inclement Weather
Schools Opening Late: Champions Extended Learning will follow late opening schedule (i.e. 1 or 2 hour delay).
Schools Closing Early: Champions Extended Learning will close immediately and 1 site staff member will come in to help call parents so they can make other arrangements.
Schools Closed. Employees: Code 1. Daycare operates normal hours.
Schools Closed. Employees: Code 2. No daycare.
Schools Closed. Employees: Code 3. No daycare.
Schools Closed. Employees: Code 4. No daycare
Closing Codes / Inclement Weather Procedures
- Workday for teachers (8:00 A.M. to 1:00 P.M.), if feasible. Inclement weather conditions and safety may change these hours. Teachers are advised to listen to school closing announcement. Regular hours for all other personnel.
- Only 12-month administrators, secretarial and other support personnel report at 10:00 A.M. and dismiss at 4:00 P.M. Construction and Maintenance, Custodial, and Bus Garage staffs report at 9:00 A.M. to prepare the school campuses and fleet for operation with release at 3:00 P.M. Teachers and instructional staff do not report for Code 2.
- Only 12-month administrators report at 10:00 A.M. and dismiss at 4:00 P.M. Construction and Maintenance, Custodial, and Bus Garage staffs report at 9:00 A.M. to prepare the school campuses and fleet for operation with release at 3:00 P.M. Teachers, instructional support, secretarial, and other support staff do not report for Code 3.
- Schools are closed for all personnel except for Custodial and Construction and Maintenance personnel who are needed to help clean sidewalks and parking areas for cars/buses. The Chief Support Services Officer will make contact with Custodial and Construction and Maintenance personnel on start time for cleanup of sidewalks and parking areas. Twelve-month administrators are responsible for checking their building(s) sometime during the day with notification of need for any emergency repairs to the Chief Support Services Officer or the Superintendent.
- Whenever an announcement is made that schools will open 1 or 2 hours late for inclement weather, only essential personnel will be expected to report at their regular time. All other employees are to report 1 or 2 hours later than their normal reporting time, whichever the case according to the announcement.
- Whenever schools close early for inclement weather, essential personnel will work their normal hours unless announced otherwise. All other employees may depart the campus once ALL students have vacated the school premises.
- “Essential personnel” are all 12-month contracted personnel such as administrators, secretaries, custodians, construction and maintenance, bus garage, support staff, etc., and any others determined by the Superintendent. In any of the situations described above, if an individual classified as essential has extenuating conditions or circumstances, he/she should contact their supervisor immediately to discuss any special arrangements that could be made. Liberal leave may be used by an employee if one cannot report for work. (This counts as a personal or vacation day).